Asperger’s Network

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
Forum URL:
https://aspergers.network
Forum Genre/Niche
Alternate/General - geared toward, but not exclusively to, Autistic People.
Asperger's Network is a general community geared toward Autistic People. Whilst we do not cater only for them, we do provide them with a safe-spot.

Alas, this is also a custom forum software built from the ground up. Some features:
  • Transparent Moderation; things are deleted, with a placeholder. People make mistakes, so these posts can be replaced at any time, by any moderator.
  • Custom markup
  • Clean fast forum experience
  • Unique, in the sense that it's the only website running this software.
I look forward to conversing with some of you over on my website. The design is our old design; I figured that I would post now rather than waiting for the new version to go live.

But, since you asked so nicely, here's a preview of the new version.

Last edited:
  • 1👍
Reactions: meetdilip

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
Glad to see Asperger's Network still up after so long. You have longevity, that's for sure!
Four server failures, a move to a Sydney based server that I now own and a full tech stack I manage from scratch. Longevity isn’t the word I would use. Glutton for Punishment maybe!

I made a vow many years ago I would see this project through no matter what happened. The site isn’t going to close. The hosting needs might scale with it.

Excited to see the new version pushed out!
Noooot just yet. Soon. Still undergoing construction. In Swift. ?

Aeowulf

Dec 23, 2019
aeowulf.com
Four server failures, a move to a Sydney based server that I now own and a full tech stack I manage from scratch. Longevity isn’t the word I would use. Glutton for Punishment maybe!

I made a vow many years ago I would see this project through no matter what happened. The site isn’t going to close. The hosting needs might scale with it.
Resilient nonetheless! I think it's a good sign for anyone in that community, that you really aren't going anywhere, despite all the hardships. Props to you.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
I think it's a good sign for anyone in that community, that you really aren't going anywhere, despite all the hardships.
Thanks! We still hold a drinks session once a year to celebrate the website's birthday.

Edit: Rolled our Beta 2.1.7 last night to allow people to change their passwords within their account settings. A change that was long overdue. Forgot Password functionality to come.

Last edited:

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
The website is currently offline for maintenance. Should be back soon.
Yeah so we ran into a couple of little hiccups.

For the more technical, here's what's going on:

Until now, the server that the site runs on has been a Ubuntu 16.04 server running Apache and PHP 5.X (in its latter days, 5.6). PHP5 has been end of life for two years, but I've been too lazy to deal with it. So over the last week (save for when I've been in Parkes working nights) I've been working on a server upgrade. The upgrade hasn't quite gone to plan. PHP 7.X has removed a bunch of features we were using and were reliant on.

Don't upgrade your servers. It's a bad good idea.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
Yeah so we ran into a couple of little hiccups.

For the more technical, here's what's going on:

Until now, the server that the site runs on has been a Ubuntu 16.04 server running Apache and PHP 5.X (in its latter days, 5.6). PHP5 has been end of life for two years, but I've been too lazy to deal with it. So over the last week (save for when I've been in Parkes working nights) I've been working on a server upgrade. The upgrade hasn't quite gone to plan. PHP 7.X has removed a bunch of features we were using and were reliant on.

Don't upgrade your servers. It's a bad good idea.
Sorry to hear about the issues! When I initially upgraded my cloud servers (I have all my files on those) to the newest OS, it did something similar. :p Hope you get it back up soon!

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
When I initially upgraded my cloud servers (I have all my files on those) to the newest OS, it did something similar.
It’s not the OS. I’m sure of it. It’s just the ludicrously old version of PHP the site was developed in when I was still a very wet-behind-the-ears developer.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
I have some new previews of our new website today. Just as a little treat.

So I've been working a bit on the layout of the forums. While trying not to detract too far from what we currently have, I wanted to spruce it up a little. Showing the last post in the forum isn't really working for us, so I wanted to show a wider variety of the topics available to post in.

We now plan to show three posts for each forum; the plan is to show the last three topics posted to if they've been posted to in the last week. This aims to keep content as fresh as we can.

And, just as a little treat, here's how it's likely to show on a phone. Note that this is subject to change, and there are still a few bugs.

Sneaky edit: Updated mobile image because fonts.

• 1♥
Reactions: Thomasss