Badmouthing of your community?

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
How do you handle people bad mouthing your community to everyone? Do you attempt to repair your relationship with the angry member or ignore them? How do you handle people posting in your promotion topics on other forums with their opinions?

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
How do you handle people bad mouthing your community to everyone?
I get a lot of this. Don't really care. If you want to take the opinion of a jaded web administrator as something other than what it is -- the opinion of a jaded web administrator -- that's your problem.

Poor reviews and good PR is the best option. Approach me and I'll tell you what happened and the background behind the poor review. Poor reviews happen because people don't get the response they are after.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Building on the “poor reviews and good PR” from @s3_gunzel i truly believe that the response to bad mouthing depends.

If somebody is badmouthing your project in private, I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s contained, and it can stay there.
If this then spills out, and is put on the site then the way in which you act can have an effect on the way your community perceive you. If the ‘poor review’ is deleted with no explanation, what are you hiding? Do you not accept criticism?

Personally, I’d openly address the problem and tackle it head on. What doesn’t said person like? Why? Is there something that can be changed to make it better? Is this a common complaint, or a one off? Is this a training issue?

It’s all about maintaining a good PR for your site.

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
I wont heed to bad mouthing at all. If they have some genuine concerns that is being brought to my attention in the right way, I try to tackle and make things right.

Otherwise, I leave it. Badmouthing us still a form of advertisement xD

Alexander

May 10, 2020
If a user has legitimate feedback or ideas, this can be handled by our staff and we can look to implement it. Anyway, I'll overlook it. Badmouthing us means free marketing anyway!

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
A fair point, but honestly oftentimes constructive criticism is seen as badmouthing and misinterpreted. This should be bared in mind.
There’s clearly a difference between constructive criticism and “your site sucks mate”. The latter can’t possibly feign being constructive at all.

• 1👍
Reactions: Katos

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I've usually just ignored it - unless they have valid points to which they are angry, I'll address them. We recently had one that had nothing to do with the community and was more of a private matter, but they took it out on Forumer.io and I simply left it be. People say what they want to, how you handle that as a webmaster will make or break you.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
It's usually best to ignore them if they are just trying to cause trouble but if they have genuine concerns then its good to deal with it professionally. There will always be haters but unfortunately they might damage the reputation of the forum.