Budget for your forum

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
If you're looking to start a new forum, chances are that you'll probably have to have a little bit of money. Whether you have a lot of money or just a little money, you'll have to pick and chose where you want to spend it. Ads, paid posting, paying staff, software purchases, and other various things can add up quickly. If you don't have a plan, you have a good shot of spending all your money too soon. With all that being said: How do you make your budget? Where do you put your money in the beginning?

KodiMaster

Community Member
Feb 23, 2020
I don't think that a new website should spend money on promotions like paid ads.
You first need to build your website, add high-quality content and build your traffic.
After doing so and once you have an established website, you can start promoting using paid services.

Tealk

Community Member
Feb 23, 2020
I don't quite understand what you expect me to say?
Anyway, the first editions are: Server, software and time.

But nowadays servers are incredibly cheap.
You can get software from free to open end.

Cardinal

Nov 16, 2019
I don't quite understand what you expect me to say?
Were you shocked in replying to the thread? :p

I think the biggest thing you need to budget would be the server and paid ads, along with contests and prizes for the first three months. After that, you'll have a better understanding of how much you need to budget after a while.

• 1😂
Reactions: Tagobs

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
Personally my hosting is cheap but also has quality. I only pay a bit less than $80/year for 8 gb ram 4 cores 75 gb SSD disk and over 2 TB bandwidth for a VPS. My site has power but still doesn't cost a lot. This gives me the ability to buy different add-ons and things like that. Which the most expensive portion of what I spend is to pay for Xenforo 2 yearly updates and add-on upgrades with second point upgrades come (2.1.x, 2.2.x, 2.3.x)...etc

marketstreetforum

Community Member
Apr 18, 2020
marketstreetforum.com
Have just started my own little community venture and I have put my starting capital to work:
  • Hosting, though a monthly bill, I am with Digital Ocean, no CP
    • Unlimited Bandwidth :D
  • Software - Invision Community
    • Several Premium Plugins
  • Hired a co-administrator
  • Content Creation & Marketing
Ultimately I wanted to bring on a partner but was unable to find a suitable person who met my requirements and shared my vision. So I hired a co-administrator to assist in managing and promoting the community through mainly free methods. Being a full-time developer it is nice to be able to have someone to assist with some of the items needing to be done.

Content - I am pushing out about 2-3 new articles each week & even though my community is new, I have employed a strategy to attract traffic using paid ads on Facebook as well as distribute my content to drive traffic to my site.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

Alexander

May 10, 2020
There are no current costs associated with my TapaTalk discussion board, at the moment. On the otherhand though, there will be soon. These are the three costs which I will need to think about when deciding on an appropriate and affordable budget.

1. Hosting
  2. Domain
  3. Paid Marketing

Who is the cheapest name and hosting provider? I would appreciate any recommendations - as this will have an impact on my decision which I'll be making in the near future for my online community.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I don't think that a new website should spend money on promotions like paid ads.
You first need to build your website, add high-quality content and build your traffic.
After doing so and once you have an established website, you can start promoting using paid services.
Yes I totally agree with this. For new forums I think they should spend their money on building content for the forum and then when it looks more active then you can start buying ads and things like that.