Can forums become too big?

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I've recently joined some rather large forums and could not find the motivation to really post anything. Large forums of course have a lot of topics up for discussion, though when I was browsing some of the topics I just felt like nothing really contributed to the overall niche of the forum, or some posts were borderline spam. Maybe it's just me, am I the only one that prefers smaller communities to be part of?

Lammchen

Community Member
I've recently joined some rather large forums and could not find the motivation to really post anything. Large forums of course have a lot of topics up for discussion, though when I was browsing some of the topics I just felt like nothing really contributed to the overall niche of the forum, or some posts were borderline spam. Maybe it's just me, am I the only one that prefers smaller communities to be part of?
I used to be on staff of a very large Christian forum and I really do think that some forums can get so large that they become problematic. They're difficult to staff and at times staff just becomes a police state because rules are being broken left and right. We actually would have 15 pages of reports minimum daily to try to work through and so staff also became a revolving door because who wants to log in and do reports all the time?

As for being a member on a large forum there tends to be cliques. If you aren't a part of the in crowd you can get pushed out of discussions right from the start. Bullying is prevalent.

Discussions are fast moving and oftentimes it's hard to give input on a thread you're interested in if the point you want to bring up seems irrelevant when 32 more pages have passed by.

Large forums are great for the owners who have lots of ads on them to bring in revenue. Is it best for members? Not always. At my forum Christianity Haven I am liking it that it hasn't gotten as large as I first hoped because I wouldn't have been able to handle it at all. I like knowing my members in a somewhat personal way and can interact with them daily.

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
I think there are times when the forums get too big. And in such cases it is necessary to watch out with how much content is being created and how much needs to be archived. I think it all depends on how the forums can handle the new members and same discussions which go over and over. And often for that reason forum posts and the threads need to be merged.

ChrisGrigg

www.USHost247.com
Nov 19, 2019
I find it hard to post and be recognized on larger forums as members who have been there since the forum was smaller are well known and established. Usually, my posts get ignored on larger forums where I am not as known as other members, so it also makes me feel like it doesn't matter if I post or not as it doesn't make a difference.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
ignored on larger forums where I am not as known as other members, so it also makes me feel like it doesn't matter if I post or not as it doesn't make a difference.
YES!

Larger forums are great for content and research, but if you want to be part of a community, forget it. I never tend to post things on larger forums as they simply go ignored or my post is similar to the 60 other posts on the thread all saying roughly the same thing.

• 1👍
Reactions: ChrisGrigg

Alexander

May 10, 2020
It depends. I don't think they can become too big as such. We might lose that "family" or "small community" feeling as a discussion board grows since your contributions can easily be lost with so many people posting at one time.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
Reddit is a fine example of a forum which has become too big. The large subreddits as-well.

The cliques and the hive-mind are very strong there.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
Sometimes its just too overwhelming to get started on a forum that has a long history with lots of active members.

It's difficult to feel like you fit int I think.