Colorful Usernames/Shiny Usernames

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
Anyone miss the old days of forums where shiny and colorful usernames were all the craze? Anyone remember that GIF that looked like your username sparkled? Whatever happened to all that? :(

• 1👍
Reactions: Dan

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
It's distracting. Pointless. Stupid. Why would I be interested in having my eye drawn to your username rather than what you're writing?
Most times, forums that had that didn't have the most interesting things to read, anyway. :p

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
nyone remember that GIF that looked like your username sparkled? Whatever happened to all that? :(
Oh lord no. Reminds me of a gaming forum I helped manage when I was like, 14. Colorful usernames were meh - I think people finally grew out of that phase. :p

Smokey

Community Member
Sep 17, 2019
www.revillution.net
I've tried to get an add-on like IGN-style username colors for Xenforo 2.x, I had one made back on XF1 and loved it, but the original developer found them to be 'tacky' in this day and age and doesn't see much of a need for an add-on like this so he quoted me a ridiculous price to develop it and maintain it, which i'm obviously not willing to pay.......so I suppose it's an end of an era.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I don’t see the point and it makes things especially hard when you have different colours for different teams too. It’s hard to distinguish who is who and who does what.

I prefer badges, much less distracting and looks cleaner and nicer in my opinion.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
It's distracting. It’s tougher enough as it is to learn who is who and who is doing what. Group Colours should be kept to a minimum - otherwise it's start to become confusing. It should be easy to identity who your staff, members and donators are if you follow this advise.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I've tried to get an add-on like IGN-style username colors for Xenforo 2.x, I had one made back on XF1 and loved it, but the original developer found them to be 'tacky' in this day and age and doesn't see much of a need for an add-on like this so he quoted me a ridiculous price to develop it and maintain it, which i'm obviously not willing to pay.......so I suppose it's an end of an era.
check out @ThemeHouse ’s website, they have what you’re looking for and for free. ;)

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Completely agree with what others have said. It's unneeded, distracting and frankly it's cliché and 'old' now.
Move on with the times :p

Dan

Community Member
Sep 26, 2019
I've considered adding something as an option for members of my General Discussion forum in regard to glamifying usernames for people that want to support the site. However, if anything I'd keep it fairly suddle. I do believe there is a place for those kinds of things.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
Completely agree with what others have said. It's unneeded, distracting and frankly it's cliché and 'old' now.
Move on with the times :p
It really depends. Well, the only exception for what you've said here, would be if they are paying for a monthly premium membership where they would receive perks. If a webmaster is going to offer a "premium upgrade", that's the least of incentives they can offer.

I'm not deferring to what you stated. I completely agree, to many coloured will make your board look messy and unorganised. If you find there is an increased demand, you can either choose to either remove this advantage or increase the price of membership.

What are your thoughts?

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I didn't mind them back in the day but I don't miss them either. It'd be better to have a badge under your username for people to see.

• 1👍
Reactions: Katos