Community makeovers to keep interest

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
Do you think it is necessary to occasionally give your forum a makeover? Do you think it is necessary to do so, when you have multiple skins? I have seen changes from colors, designs, content to going so far as a name change.

In my opinion, change can be good at times for a community. Many times I have seen forums die out, because the admin felt that nothing needed to be changed or that having multiple skins for its members was sufficient. The common thought of " if it isn't broke, don't fix it" seems to be a reason not to as well.

What are your thoughts?

Gh0st4unt3r

Community Member
Jan 26, 2020
stormdevelopers.com
having a full make over can have its ups or downs because if you change locations or menu structure people could loose themselves a little but saying that improvements are great to show your members that keeping the site up to date and working on it shows that effort is continuously improving the website also having guidance from community members as they may make some valid suggestions which could make all the difference when it comes to changes making them happy.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Nothing an explanatory thread/post won’t fix.
This. Absolutely this.
I cannot tell you how frustrating it is when a site updates their design and changes the layout without detailing to the enduser(s) how the design has changed, and where they can find functions or features. An explanatory thread is fairly easy to create, and will assist users hugely!

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
I dont agree with frequent design changes. Thats because of a few reasons that I will enlist below:

1. I am a person who attaches a lot of value to how a website and a forum projects itself out. I believe that a good design is a BIG yes for me in determining to be a part of that community. Frequent changes means that there is no originality and stability.

2. Its costly. A good theme cost heavily. I would rather spend that money on what my community needs, like an add on, rather than a theme.

3. It means a lot of getting used to. We live in a fast world and change is something we find difficult to adapt. Moving themes means my community needs to spend a lot of time to adapt. We may even loose members in the process.

4. Do I need to talk about things being moved about?

5. Backend codings to ensure that they actually work as they are supposed to. Takes a lot of time. Much ado about nothing.

If you are adamant about adding new themes, then use a style changer.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
I dont agree with frequent design changes. Thats because of a few reasons that I will enlist below:

1. I am a person who attaches a lot of value to how a website and a forum projects itself out. I believe that a good design is a BIG yes for me in determining to be a part of that community. Frequent changes means that there is no originality and stability.

2. Its costly. A good theme cost heavily. I would rather spend that money on what my community needs, like an add on, rather than a theme.

3. It means a lot of getting used to. We live in a fast world and change is something we find difficult to adapt. Moving themes means my community needs to spend a lot of time to adapt. We may even loose members in the process.

4. Do I need to talk about things being moved about?

5. Backend codings to ensure that they actually work as they are supposed to. Takes a lot of time. Much ado about nothing.

If you are adamant about adding new themes, then use a style changer.
Disagree with this in part, but I can appreciate some of your concerns.

1. A site that uses the same theme for the duration of its life shows (to me) a site that is willing to adapt and move on with times, modern sites should have modern themes, and adapt and embrace the modern design techniques and ideas that go with this. If you're rocking a theme that looks like it's "straight outta '80" then it isn't going to bode well. Even if it worked great for you in the past.
  2. Whilst it can be costly, I truly believe that a site needs investment to succeed, if you're not willing to invest time, money and effort, you're in the wrong game. A great example of this, to paraphrase yourself, is actually Forumer - where @Thomasss has invested a lot of time, money and effort (alongside @s3_gunzel) to make this work - and work it does!
  3. As I eluded to above, this is managed with a good community team, a well written guide, or walk-throughs. Members are more willing to learn and adapt than people actually give them credit for.
  4. See #3.
  5. This is actually a fair comment, it can be a pain to get things to work with the new design layout (oh how I know that one myself..!) but it's usually worth the effort, and your members will appreciate it, because they can physically see how much care and attention you're putting into your site.

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
Disagree with this in part, but I can appreciate some of your concerns.

1. A site that uses the same theme for the duration of its life shows (to me) a site that is willing to adapt and move on with times, modern sites should have modern themes, and adapt and embrace the modern design techniques and ideas that go with this. If you're rocking a theme that looks like it's "straight outta '80" then it isn't going to bode well. Even if it worked great for you in the past.
  2. Whilst it can be costly, I truly believe that a site needs investment to succeed, if you're not willing to invest time, money and effort, you're in the wrong game. A great example of this, to paraphrase yourself, is actually Forumer - where @Thomasss has invested a lot of time, money and effort (alongside @s3_gunzel) to make this work - and work it does!
  3. As I eluded to above, this is managed with a good community team, a well written guide, or walk-throughs. Members are more willing to learn and adapt than people actually give them credit for.
  4. See #3.
  5. This is actually a fair comment, it can be a pain to get things to work with the new design layout (oh how I know that one myself..!) but it's usually worth the effort, and your members will appreciate it, because they can physically see how much care and attention you're putting into your site.
If you look at what I said in my first post, I was talking about frequent changes.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
If you look at what I said in my first post, I was talking about frequent changes.
I know, but I was also saying that regardless, and to be fair - the same points would apply.
id agree that “frequent” changes would be daft, depending on how you’re classifying frequent

Alexander

May 10, 2020
At my discussion community, we decided after a year of the forum slowly dieing, 2020 was the year for us to launch a community revamp/makeover. We changed all three - our design, our default colour and I changed my online identity to my real name. Some of the other tweaks included increased promotion and enhanced user interaction from my self.

Although, you have to be wary that Regular changes could potentially mean that there really is no uniqueness and sustainability in the online community that your running!

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
A good theme, if you buy one, also should allow you to make subtle changes to the overall UI on a normal basis and give you the flexibility to "refresh" the look without really changing anything.

Whilst it can be costly, I truly believe that a site needs investment to succeed, if you're not willing to invest time, money and effort, you're in the wrong game. A great example of this, to paraphrase yourself, is actually Forumer - where @Thomasss has invested a lot of time, money and effort (alongside @s3_gunzel) to make this work - and work it does!

• 1♥
Reactions: Katos

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I think it's nice to update a design or branding every once in a. while however I think it should be a special occasion to do so rather than making it like yearly thing. It adds a bit of freshness to the site that way I think.

I recently refreshed my websites as the design looked a little dated anyway.