Create alt accounts to reply to own threads?

Keran

Community Member
Nov 25, 2019
Do you think that it's a good idea for the admin to create alt accounts and reply to his own threads when starting a new forum to make it look more "active" ?

Personally, I think that it's not a good idea at all. It can be spotted pretty easily that it's fake and drive some potential members away. Also, after time those alt accounts will just turn into dead accounts and make the forum look worse activity wise.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
Also, after time those alt accounts will just turn into dead accounts and make the forum look worse activity wise.
Members come and go. If you’re judging a forum based on active accounts vs inactive accounts, you need to reconsider your criteria. Yes, having a lot of active accounts is good but for a lot of sites that want to provide worth, it’s not useful to them long-term.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I've done this a few times before and it's not really because I want "active" accounts; in the beginning, it's mainly to create content to launch the forum. Like @s3_gunzel said, members will come and go. You can take a look at the largest forums and only see 100 accounts (if) actually active out of 100,000. Don't judge a forum based off the active member count, judge it based off of the content within. ;)

• 1👍
Reactions: Aeowulf

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
The last time I have done something like this, and actually tried to do something like this, was probably 8 years ago, when I thought that starting content should have something other than my name all over it, and that I thought no one would help create the content, even if compensated.

It can be seen as a false way to get members, and rightly so. I have heard many people get angry over fake accounts, when they thought the people they were talking to was real people, other than the admin or staff.

Ash

Jul 30, 2019
I've done this a long time ago when I was younger and building forums all the time. It was a good way to get some content when the forum has just started and made it look better for guests.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

Alexander

May 10, 2020
I would never consider creating alt accounts to reply to my own topics - I classify this as cheating. This could be seen as a misleading means of obtaining members, and understandably so. I've experienced a number of individuals get upset about multiple accounts, because they assumed the people they were talking to were real people, when they never were all along.

There is no point in pretending to be someone online that your not. Your not only wasting your time but your wasting the users time.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
It depends how many accounts you make. If it's one or two it shouldn't be too bad but anything more than that then it's a big no for me. As many have said people can easily spot it. I've spot it myself on forums in the past.

SportsGuy

Aug 5, 2020
I would do this at the beginning of my forum's life. No one ever found out so it was okay and it did help with activity.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
Talking to myself and creating multiple identities would feel really weird and uncomfortable.