Delete or move to trash?

Keran

Community Member
Nov 25, 2019
Would you permanently delete a troll/spam thread/post, soft-delete it, or move it to a hidden "trash" section on your forum?

I would just permanently delete it, it's in no use - not contributing anything to the site and I don't see a reason to move it anywhere. But some people prefer to move that type of content to the trash area for some reasons.

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
I know a lot of people who would move it to a "trash" forum hidden somewhere on the site, mainly for the purpose of keeping their thread content up - those are the types of forums that I do not want to join. Spam content should be deleted, not moved to a trash forum.

ChrisGrigg

www.USHost247.com
Nov 19, 2019
I usually would have the forum software set up to auto move all the user's content to the trash forum as you can "undo" the spam feature. If you have it set to perm. deletion, then there is no going back. Sometimes it can be a little tricky if a user is a spam bot or not as some are very borderline content. This way, it gives you that safety barrier just in case they were a real person.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
We tend to move the posts. Our team at Share YouTube videos are advised instead of deleting posts, to move it to a hidden section only staff can see. Any posts that need to be deleted in line with our moderation and user policies, will be moved to a section called "User Posts - Trash" for our records.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
I’d delete anything that I didn’t want to stick around and be seen. I don’t see the point unless it needs to be kept.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
I’d delete anything that I didn’t want to stick around and be seen. I don’t see the point unless it needs to be kept.
Do you soft or permanently delete the posts? Why? What if a user appealed their permanent ban and they asked for evidence to justify their punishment. How could you show them proof if the post has been erased? I'm curious to find out. :)

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
Do you soft or permanently delete the posts? Why? What if a user appealed their permanent ban and they asked for evidence to justify their punishment. How could you show them proof if the post has been erased? I'm curious to find out. :)
Show them any evidence you want to before hand or during the ban. But I would either permanently delete the content if I don’t need it or if I absolutely have to keep it then I’d possible hide it.

I have a hide feature which is sort of like a soft delete but I can still see it and interact with the content but non-moderators cannot see it.

At the end of the day, a private forum much like a business has final say on their property so you can do what you like.

s3_gunzel

Administrator of Broken Things
Nov 20, 2019
We publicly hide posts. Item:

1590130660797.png

This displays to all users, regardless of who they are. Lest we get accused of censorship.

If it's YOUR post, however,

1590130755858.png

You get options to edit your post, or you can open a thread in the private forum to discuss why the post was removed.