Demoting Staff? Absent Staff?

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
Nothing is worse when you demote a staff member and they become somewhat similar to a crazy ex rampaging throughout the community. How do you demote staff, and what reasons have you needed to demote staff before?

Also, having absent staff come and go, "real life" gets in the way sometimes and it requires some to be off for more than a week at a time. Do you grant "leave" per say? How long do you let your staff members go without being productive on the community?

Alexander

May 10, 2020
Fortunately, I’ve never been in a position that may of forced me to fire an volunteer. We understand that we are all human and have priorities to deal with in real life - this is why we authorise absence depending on the individual situation. Some of the reason that would result in dismissal would be:

• Abuse of powers
  • Leaking personal user information/details
  • Long term, unexplained absence.

Last edited:

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
We've demoted staff a number of times in the past, where their views or actions do not align with our policies.
Nearly all of the time, we reach out to the staff member beforehand to advise them (and warn) before action is taken.

I've only ever removed one staff member outright. Said staff member came back and posted derogatory comments and was reprimanded against the same rules that we hold the community accountable for. As such, since it was his third strike, he was banned.

Moo-d

Community Member
May 10, 2020
If staff cannot stay active when promoted to the forum, they should not be staff at all.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Yeah, right? God forbid you should have a job, or a relationship, or need to travel for any reason to a place where they don't speak english and there's no internet.
Activity I don’t mind quite so much. As @s3_gunzel says; jobs, relationships, travel etc comes first. What we generally ask is that if you know that you will be inactive for a while to post a thread in our staff section so that we know (usually holidays) and so that we don’t mither you whilst you’re taking time off.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
Activity I don’t mind quite so much. As @s3_gunzel says; jobs, relationships, travel etc comes first. What we generally ask is that if you know that you will be inactive for a while to post a thread in our staff section so that we know (usually holidays) and so that we don’t mither you whilst you’re taking time off.
Yes, I agree - it's courteous for staff to let an administrator know when they are going to have a period of inactivity. Some volunteers or employees may feel uncomfortable with posting in the Staff Section of the board because, the reason may be considered private. I'm happy if a team member sends me a private message if they wish to explain why to ensure confidentiality.

• 1👍
Reactions: Katos

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Yes, I agree - it's courteous for staff to let an administrator know when they are going to have a period of inactivity. Some volunteers or employees may feel uncomfortable with posting in the Staff Section of the board because, the reason may be considered private. I'm happy if a team member sends me a private message if they wish to explain why to ensure confidentiality.
I should clarify, the staff section for absences is for those who don't mind public disclosure (such as vacations). If you have personal reasons, it is made clear that I am approachable in private to discuss this. I respect the confidentiality of this, and will endeavor to support staff where possible with this time off.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
If they completely abandon the forum (unless if they let the owner know they will be away for a period of time) or if they can't handle being on the staff team then they should not be on staff.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
If they completely abandon the forum (unless if they let the owner know they will be away for a period of time) or if they can't handle being on the staff team then they should not be on staff.
Agreed, this is why we have a culture of advising the team when people will be away.
On some forums, they even move the long-term vacationing staff to a "Staff-Away" rank, which removes access to staff sections temporarily, to prevent risk of account take-over whilst the user is away.