DirectAdmin

ChrisGrigg

www.USHost247.com
Nov 19, 2019
I have set up a server and installed DirectAdmin on it and configured it so far.
Login: demo_admin; Password: demo

I'm thinking of doing our next server with it and seeing the comparison with cPanel, as we use cPanel on server2. cPanel is obviously the king of panels, but with their recent price gouge, it's hard to not test other panels.

What do you think of DA?

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
The only problem I have with DirectAdmin is the File Manager; it's really not all that powerful. The only way around that of course is FTP but that is only if you're going after more advanced users. As much as it hurts to say, most people do not know how to use FTP enough to manage a website. Otherwise, I enjoy DirectAdmin as I currently use it for work (we sell websites to clients) however, that's just me on an admin side of things.

Although, unlike cPanel, I enjoy the Backup feature that DirectAdmin has. I think while it's a good alternative, it's going to be hard for people to switch from cPanel to any other control panel. They already have their mind programmed on how to manage their website and basic troubleshooting techniques.

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
I used it casually before, and never actively enough to get a decent opinion on it in either direction. But I see it as a good alternative for those who don't have the means to get cpanel at it's current pricing.

Gh0st4unt3r

Community Member
Jan 26, 2020
stormdevelopers.com
I have used a fair few panels with plesk and cpanel being the 2 i most used, personally not a fan of directadmin, if plesk and cpanel serve no purpose for me i agree with the other post ssh and configure to your hearts content.

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
I have set up a server and installed DirectAdmin on it and configured it so far.
Login: demo_admin; Password: demo

I'm thinking of doing our next server with it and seeing the comparison with cPanel, as we use cPanel on server2. cPanel is obviously the king of panels, but with their recent price gouge, it's hard to not test other panels.

What do you think of DA?
Did you end up going to Direct Admin, @ChrisGrigg ?

ChrisGrigg

www.USHost247.com
Nov 19, 2019
Did you end up going to Direct Admin, @ChrisGrigg ?
Negative. We chose to stick with cPanel.
We decided to stay for a few reasons, and the biggest reason is being that we would have to transfer all accounts and migrate and start all over again on a new server. Secondly, DA is not as supported as cPanel is.

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
I would hate to get all that user data and hosting information transferred over to it. I know I had a headache with trying to upload a very large wordpress installation, and get everything to attach to each other properly, so I would hate to see how hard it would be with a active host like yours.

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
cPanel is definitely the best control panel to use. Cpanel and WHM have been around for quite a long time and there the most professional. However it is kind of pricey for some people. Personally I use webmin/virtualmin and it works fantastic. It just takes learning the panel and getting used to how it works. Both come packaged together and are completely free. I used cPanel for many years but got tired of having to pay that much money. Virtualmin isn’t as bad as they say. Does the job and file manager isn’t that bad either.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
Update: I demo'd DirectAdmin and attempted to use it as a control panel in lieu of cPanel, and I could not stand it. I'm not sure if it was because I was so used to the layout of cPanel or if DirectAdmin is just overly complicated to move around in, but I couldn't stand it. I'd recommend Plesk in lieu of cPanel if you must. :p

Moo-d

Community Member
May 10, 2020
Negative. We chose to stick with cPanel.
We decided to stay for a few reasons, and the biggest reason is being that we would have to transfer all accounts and migrate and start all over again on a new server. Secondly, DA is not as supported as cPanel is.
Considering the new pricing from cPanel, how is that treating you? :p