Disciplining members

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Forums have to discipline members who cause trouble. What are your ways of discipling a member? Do you give a certain amount of warnings before banning them or do you ban them right away depending on the crime?

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
It depends on how serious it is. Permanently banning someone is not always feasible as it's easy to just create a new account and especially if you have a dynamic IP then you can't get blocked from the site.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
It depends on how serious it is. Permanently banning someone is not always feasible as it's easy to just create a new account and especially if you have a dynamic IP then you can't get blocked from the site.
People always find different ways to access the forum especially when they are banned and they might cause even more trouble but yes some crimes deserve an immediate ban.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
It depends on what they did and whether they're likely to learn from a warning.

If I feel someone is deliberately messing me around, I will just ban them on the spot. I hate banning people so this in practice is really rare and you will usually get a PM of some sort or a public post specifically detailing the violations and telling you to knock it off.

Accidental conduct will never lead to a ban. I'm not that unreasonable, even if I can be heated in a debate although that is separate from moderation.