Discord Channels?

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
So many online communities nowadays have Discord channels, or have tried Discord channels. Does anyone feel like Discord brings down the activity of the community?

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
I am not sure why one direct content and their members to another means of discussion if they have an entire website dedicated to it.

Jake

Ariana Stan
Dec 4, 2019
Well, that's the problem. Forums are being taken over by Discord, Skype, and every other computer-programmed chatting application. Why make an entire post about a topic while you can just type in a chat box? Eh.

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
I feel forums more open and also closed with the people in it. Discord feels like out of control chat rooms. And it hardly builds any community for my site. I personally prefer the place where I can control the content created and how it can be monetized.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
We have a Discord Channel and our forum activity hasn't been negatively impacted. If anything, our discussion board is more active than the server. We have just over 200 members on Discord and 447 registered members on the forum. Although, just like others have mentioned, webmasters don't want all of their content through a social media chat box because that's taking the activity away from the discussion board. It's something that needs to be monitored and reviewed regularly if you have social media for your online community.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I don't understand Discord. I get it if you want it to chat to friends or a community about a specific topic, but if you have a forum you're fragmenting your communities discussion in a way that just isn't practical.

I agree with what @s3_gunzel said, maybe not 'insane', but 'unwise' to have both.

If you have a forum, use it.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I wouldn't have Discord for my forum as that's a totally different thing. It's almost like the same reason why most forums don't have chat boxes on their forum as it takes away from the purpose of a forum of making posts/threads.

• 1🍪
Reactions: Thomasss

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
My site has a discord. I also use it as my discord for my streaming as well, so it serves the purpose for both. :)
That's cool it works for you. Do you find though that it takes away from people posting on the forum if you have a forum or is your website more of a regular website with no forum?

• 1👍
Reactions: Smokey

Smokey

Community Member
Sep 17, 2019
www.revillution.net
We don't see a decrease in forum activity. People still log in daily to read posts or share stuff. I push the forum more than I push anything else, the discord is just a small extension.

• 1👍
Reactions: Spikey

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
We don't see a decrease in forum activity. People still log in daily to read posts or share stuff. I push the forum more than I push anything else, the discord is just a small extension.
Ahh that's good then :) I guess it's always good to try out different features/plugins and if it works out then its great but if it hurts the forum in any way I would get rid of that feature/plugin.