Free Forum Software

jyy

Sep 26, 2019
What types do you prefer? How do you compare them to paid software? Myself, at the least, I know MyBB and phpBB are quite good and well maintained.

Advantages of SMF and WordPress Forums

Well, for inexperienced website owners - they might like the fact that SMF and WordPress forums like WP-Foro or BBpress have a gadget for uploading - pretty much everything - themes, mods and also have one-click updating.

Disadvantage of MyBB

Sometimes it's impossible to login - because there are code mismatch errors - something like that. Well, to fix them, the theme maker or site owner has to make code changes.

Hacking Problems

I don't buy that free forum software is hacked easier - because I think many owners don't update the software or use tough passwords.

Last edited:

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
None of them.

Also, ‘hacking’ indicates a breach from a password. Most hacking occurs when some idiot leaves their password to their board database as the root password. Don’t do that children.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
None of them.

Also, ‘hacking’ indicates a breach from a password. Most hacking occurs when some idiot leaves their password to their board database as the root password. Don’t do that children.
Posting your root password and making it 123456789 isn't good? :cry:

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Disadvantage of MyBB

Sometimes it's impossible to login - because there are code mismatch errors - something like that. Well, to fix them, the theme maker or site owner has to make code changes.
Not wholely sure I agree that this is a disadvantage. Full disclosure, I am a support agent of MyBB - but the code mismatch is due to theme developers or administrators not updating their code. The change was bought about to improve the security through a post key, which is used to authenticate a users session.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I still think phpBB 3 is the best forum software there is, although it's barely changed in the 10 or so years that 3.0 first came out. It's become pretty stagnant now I think.

I've never used MyBB but heard some okay things about it.

I also tried Vanilla Forums at one point which was quite nice, although that's gone paid only now I think as well.