Free Work as Designer?

skysnap

Sep 15, 2019
I see many business owners who ask for the free design and they claim that once their company starts making money they will pay. Do you entertain such type of business owners who wish to pay after the company is formed and making money? I personally think this is a kind of rip off and it can get pretty bad if you ask me. Some of the time you can see that getting free work is not a good experience. In fact it is more painful. I am personally steering clear of this type. 

Do you prefer to work on such type of free gigs as a designer?

mrki444

Sep 17, 2019
You can do such free gigs but only if you sign contract where employer have obligations to pay you if value of Company grows. You can also require some part of profit. Many of startup does that.

Mace

Jul 30, 2019
No. Nobody should work for free, unless it's for charity. Before starting a business, make sure you have the money you need to actually start your business. You don't go to the supermarket, grab a bunch of groceries and leave without paying 'because you will pay when you happen to receive some money' either. I don't see why a designer or developer should act differently than anyone else selling items / services. If you need to hire someone, make sure you financially CAN hire someone.

Tioga

Sep 26, 2019
I see many business owners who ask for the free design and they claim that once their company starts making money they will pay. Do you entertain such type of business owners who wish to pay after the company is formed and making money? I personally think this is a kind of rip off and it can get pretty bad if you ask me. Some of the time you can see that getting free work is not a good experience. In fact it is more painful. I am personally steering clear of this type. 

Do you prefer to work on such type of free gigs as a designer?
Never. Start out doing that and you set the stage for abuse lol. Some nerve they have too because how can anyone be sure that their company will start making money. If they don't have the money to get the basics of the business then maybe they should borrow it from a bank. That's what people who mean business do. I'm not entertaining them either. Even when you are trying to build your portfolio, don't do it.

skysnap

Sep 15, 2019
Never. Start out doing that and you set the stage for abuse lol. Some nerve they have too because how can anyone be sure that their company will start making money. If they don't have the money to get the basics of the business then maybe they should borrow it from a bank. That's what people who mean business do. I'm not entertaining them either. Even when you are trying to build your portfolio, don't do it.
Yes I have seen that happening. I have in fact noticed that there are some of the people out there who don't mind take advantage of others. And e ven worst they tend to even justify that that is how the industry works. So it all falls down to where we see ourselves and how we price our services. That is what matters at the end as well. 

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I don't think you should do free work if you want to earn more clients. I think you just need to price competitively to begin with and just try and win clients whenever and wherever you can. Otherwise you'll struggle to make the switch to paid work when you think you feel ready and people can often take advantage when work is free. That can of course be the case even for paid work though.