Guest Posting

Alexander

May 10, 2020
My understanding is that there are some forums which have the option that enabled guests to submit content before they register an account. What are your feelings on this? Do you allow guest posting? Please explain why! On my discussion board, I don't permit Guest Posting as a spam prevention measure. I believe it could encourage Spam Bots, Trolls and Ban evaders. People are required to sign up before they gain access to posting on my group.

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
I'm honestly a bit intrigued as to situations where one would allow guest posting? Most, if not all communities I've been on/seen throughout the years require a membership. After all, owners want sign ups.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
I'm honestly a bit intrigued as to situations where one would allow guest posting? Most, if not all communities I've been on/seen throughout the years require a membership. After all, owners want sign ups.
Ensuring that users sign up will mean it's easier to moderate your forum and issue reasonable punishments. Warnings, temporary bans, and account restrictions like moderation queue are all types of punishments you can issue if a user has an account on your forum. If they are a guest posting, you don't have many tools to punish besides their, IP.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I’m against it, it opens your forum up to too much abuse. At least you can create a sort of paper trail if people need an account first.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I mean, if someone wants to post on your forum, you’d think they would join too? It literally takes about 15 seconds (Here anyway) and boom, you’re done and able to post. I understand guest viewing, not guest posting. Opens you up to spam and all kinds of fun.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
We used to use Guest posting on an old forum I was an admin of, we allowed guest posting with severely limited rights.
It was well managed in that we allowed one guest post and then you had to register to post more, we also restricted replies to the few 2 (IIRC), after which you had to register. We saw a great conversion rate as a result, because they saw that their content was actually getting the results that they wanted.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
I’m against it, it opens your forum up to too much abuse. At least you can create a sort of paper trail if people need an account first.
Exactly. Guest Posting limits how many moderation duties you can perform if a user breach your Terms of Service. Atleast if a member is registered, webmasters have a wider-range of moderation abilities like warnings and the capability to write usernotes in the MCP.

Moderating guest posts is a challenge.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I wouldn't go for it. I've seen it done on other forums in the past. It can cause bots to post spam or people who don't want to sign up and could make trouble on the forum just by posting as a guest. It's better to have the person sign up to the forum.

Nabix

StackBB Founder
Jul 28, 2020
www.stackbb.com
Guest posting has been an option depending on the niche of the community. Although, in recent updates of IPS you can enable guest posting which allows them to create a post, but, once they go to submit it, they will be faced with an account registration page in order to finish post it. I have gotten a lot of conversion with this feature.

• 1👍
Reactions: Katos

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Guest posting has been an option depending on the niche of the community. Although, in recent updates of IPS you can enable guest posting which allows them to create a post, but, once they go to submit it, they will be faced with an account registration page in order to finish post it. I have gotten a lot of conversion with this feature.
Not gonna lie, that's quite a neat feature to be fair.