Have you ever created a forum software?

Azareal

May 24, 2020
I have one which you can find fairly easily if you search for it (gimme feedback if you do, I know I'm being dumb about some things somewhere!), but does anyone else? Has anyone made one? It is a surprisingly common web newb project.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
@s3_gunzel would probably be your best bet if you need any help!

I've never created one and nor do I have the skillset (nor patience) to create something from scratch. ?

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I have one which you can find fairly easily if you search for it (gimme feedback if you do, I know I'm being dumb about some things somewhere!), but does anyone else? Has anyone made one? It is a surprisingly common web newb project.
What fun updates do you have for your forum software? I'm intrigued! :D

Azareal

May 24, 2020
What fun updates do you have for your forum software? I'm intrigued! :D
Well, that's the baseline, although it is very outdated, I should get around to revamping this site!

I'm working on a lot of things, I kind of want to jump on the E2EE bandwagon, although that seems like actual work and Web Crypto is a nasty API to work with. I'm also supposed to be working on Midnight, which is currently in the research stages, and I should finish route performance analytics too. Other than that, I need to strip the metadata from images more carefully as that poses an actual privacy risk and get round to Docker eventually.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
To be completely honest, I wouldn't know where to start! I never created one, nor do I have the knowledge (or persistence) to create something like this from scratch. On a side note, how would I gain such a skillset? This kind of project would be to time consuming for me too and why would I bother creating my own when I can use open source alternatives?

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
On a side note, how would I gain such a skillset?
Learn to code in your favourite language. After a blog, a forum is just about the easiest web app you can build.

why would I bother creating my own when I can use open source alternatives?
In my case it was either write a bunch of plugins, effectively rewriting the software, or just write the software.