Have you ever created a forum software?

Alexander

May 10, 2020
Learn to code in your favourite language. After a blog, a forum is just about the easiest web app you can build.

In my case it was either write a bunch of plugins, effectively rewriting the software, or just write the software.
What tutorials or online classes that are free, would you recommend to me? I'm always looking to learn a new skill but I'm asking for some learning guidance on how I can. How many languages do you need to know to code a forum? I know HTML of by heart but without a doubt, I'm going to have to understand more.

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
Never tried it. I think Larvael made it easy to code one in PHP. But I wish to do something with Python and maybe Golang. I don't want to take inspiration from existing one, maybe something new I can come up with. I wish to learn from others considering I want to learn that template and not repeating code approach. Never done anything big like forum that grows incrementally.

• 1👍
Reactions: Azareal

Azareal

May 24, 2020
What tutorials or online classes that are free, would you recommend to me? I'm always looking to learn a new skill but I'm asking for some learning guidance on how I can. How many languages do you need to know to code a forum? I know HTML of by heart but without a doubt, I'm going to have to understand more.
A website comes in two parts. What runs on the server and what runs on the client (in theory, you could do a P2P site but that is far more intricate :p).

On the server, you might run Node (server side JavaScript), Go, Python, and more traditionally, PHP.

On the client, you would have HTML, CSS (and JavaScript to make it more usable). You may even use a JS Framework for a more streamlined experience. It is possible to use languages other than JavaScript too like Rust, Go, a dialect of Python, and so on, and you can transpile that to JavaScript. The technology for this is in it's infancy.

Altair

Community Member
Jun 29, 2020
www.justaparadox.com
Learn to code in your favourite language. After a blog, a forum is just about the easiest web app you can build.

In my case it was either write a bunch of plugins, effectively rewriting the software, or just write the software.
Great advice thank you.
--
So I legit thought your forum was hand-coded when I saw it.
--
I have never coded my own forum software.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
Great advice thank you.
--

So I legit thought your forum was hand-coded when I saw it.
--
I have never coded my own forum software.
In many ways, forums are just redesigned blogs.

Categorises on a blog are the individual forums. The posts on a blog are the topics and the comments are the replies. When you actually create your own software you'll notice that during the way you'll feel like you're making a blog at first and then it'll turn into a forum with the design if that makes sense. My forum could easily be redesigned to be a blog.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
In many ways, forums are just redesigned blogs.

Categorises on a blog are the individual forums. The posts on a blog are the topics and the comments are the replies. When you actually create your own software you'll notice that during the way you'll feel like you're making a blog at first and then it'll turn into a forum with the design if that makes sense. My forum could easily be redesigned to be a blog.
Are forums redesigned blogs or are blogs redesigned forums? :p