Hello, I'm Erin!

Dan

Community Member
Sep 26, 2019
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! I can second that COVID has not caused us to slow down in the IT industry but we hesitated on hiring new people for a decent amount of time.

Fergal

Community Member
Apr 28, 2020
Welcome Erin and good luck with your job search. I work in IT in Ireland (automated software testing). My experience is that Covid is causing a slow down in employment at the moment. Companies are delaying their hiring plans and many industries are affected. Some areas of IT are experiencing growth, e.g. RPA, but when other industries experience a down turn, companies in those industries will spend less on everything, including IT.

Having a profile site, that showcases your skills and experience, might help you find employment and / or freelance work. Is that something you have considered creating?

COVID has not caused us to slow down in the IT industry but we hesitated on hiring new people for a decent amount of time
Sorry Dan, not sure I understand, but are those two statements contradictory?

Dan

Community Member
Sep 26, 2019
Sorry Dan, not sure I understand, but are those two statements contradictory?
Not at all, when we initially went home to work remotely we cut our individual hours down to only 40 a week because we weren't sure what companies were still going to pay their bills and how many companies we work for were staying open.
Eventually we ha a small dip in work but for maybe a day or two and then things were back to normal for us. Overtime, ECT. So while the staff we already had was working less hours, during that time period of unknowns our company didn't want to hire someone when our own staff couldn't even work overtime.

• 1👍
Reactions: Fergal