How do you dress for an interview?

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
As part of my profession, I assist with interviews on a normal basis for several of our positions we have available. I've been known to critique those who do not dress professionally for their interview and sadly yoga pants, leggings, and normal sweatshirts and crop tops have made it their way into "interview attire" lately. If you were a hiring manager, how would you handle someone coming in with leggings and a normal sweatshirt? How do you dress for interviews?

Picard

Community Member
Nov 7, 2019
I believe you should dress as professionally as possible. However, I would not base an interview on looks alone. If someone arrived wearing a really nice pair of jeans (with no holes, etc), a dress shirt or similar item, and was well groomed, I would likely consider the merits of the applicant over their appearances. This is because full suits or even normal dress clothes can be really expensive and we don't know that individuals situation. I personally wear a tie, button up dress shirt (no jacket), dress shoes, dress pants, and a nice belt. I might even trim my beard if I want the job bad enough. Too bad I haven't had to interview for my last two schools.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
I own a business, so... I suppose I don't dress in any way for an interview.

This is because full suits or even normal dress clothes can be really expensive and we don't know that individuals situation.
I'd argue that maybe they're just more comfortable in a pair of jeans over a full suit. There's absolutely no reason you should spend money on a full suit for interviews.

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
I've been told to dress for the job that you want, the better you dress, the more likely you'd be taken serious for a job. But then again, there are jobs where if you overdress, it would be overkill.

Lets say you wanted to work at a construction job, specifically to help construction and not in the office, I would expect to dress nicely, but not necessarily in a suit.

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
"Dress for the job you want, not the job you have..."

I've gone to interviews in a nice pair of jeans and button up shirt, and I've gone to interviews in a full suite. It really depends on the job and the overall atmosphere of the workplace. I always suggest dressing to impress, whatever "impressing" means to you.

Cardinal

Nov 16, 2019
I interview in full suits, but that is just me. I enjoy being in professional attire.
I refuse to wear anything but full suits, even if it's a construction job. I fail to see how someone would not hire someone because of being "too professional" looking.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
I believe you should dress as professionally as possible. I refuse to attend interviews unless I'm wearing my full suit, no matter what sector I'm looking to work in. You should always "dress to impress" and consider what makes you stand out from the other interviewees. Usually, from experience, it can increase the likelihood of you getting employed by the firm.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
I manage a team, and I interview as a result.
If you turn up in anything short of a suit, you've not got the job.

We're a law firm. Yes, we work in IT but we have a professional image to maintain, especially when clients are walking about as we're working.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I’ve walked up to an interviewee for a management level position and told them thank you for the interest but her ripped skinny jeans, bandanna on her head, and tank top did not meet the qualifications for the positions dress code.

Walk in for an interview with your Sunday best. Nothing more and nothing less.

ARx182

Apr 30, 2020
Personally I just wear a shirt and trousers. Nothing over the top but formal enough to do the trick. I’ve only ever been to two interviews and was commended for my attire on both occasions.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
Always go in a suit (if you're male). You can never go wrong with a suit for any job, unless they specifically tell you not to go in a suit.

For women, I think either a dress of some kind or a blouse and skirt? I don't know... ?

SportsGuy

Aug 5, 2020
I don't think I've ever wore a suit for a job interview and I got the job. I still dressed nice.. beige pants/shorts and a buttoned up shirt but never a suit. I guess I lucked out!