How to handle members who are too much into community?

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
I understand some members who are into particular community. And they are active on those forums all the time. I wonder if the people who are into the community all the time kind of affects the website and it becomes obsessive in a ways. And that could negatively affect the development of the community.

How do handle such scenario?

Alexander

May 10, 2020
It depends on the situation. On my community, as long as the member are following the Terms of Service that they agreed to when signing up, they are welcome to stay.

We encourage members who are wanting to return and become regular posters. Various volunteer staff members, will actively contribute to discussions to keep users engaged

Azareal

May 24, 2020
It sounds as if there is a particular scenario you're worried about? It is hard to give a response without details.

I usually worry about users not being interested enough rather than being too interested.
With the lockdown (I haaaattteeee that lockdown x.x) in particular, a loooot of people have a lot of free time they don't know what to do with.

It's really too hard to psych-analyse someone from behind a computer screen from the other side of the world anyway.

Lammchen

Community Member
This is a great topic!! Yes, I did have a member who was around all the time and he was somewhat salty in his responses so it turned people off and newbies would run and hide, never to hear from them again. I didn't know what to do since he was adding post counts and new threads to the forum. He eventually got mad at me for something and left for good so I guess that resolved the problem?

Azareal

May 24, 2020
This is a great topic!! Yes, I did have a member who was around all the time and he was somewhat salty in his responses so it turned people off and newbies would run and hide, never to hear from them again. I didn't know what to do since he was adding post counts and new threads to the forum. He eventually got mad at me for something and left for good so I guess that resolved the problem?
My rules are akin to laws in my kingdom, you wouldn't break the law, so why would you break my rules?

Oh boy, passive-aggression can be a tough one. I feel like people sometimes don't realise exactly how passive-aggressive they're being. Calling it out privately or otherwise may help.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Yea I don't mind if the member is on the forum all the time and contributing positively to the forum but if the member is around causing trouble that could be bad for the forum.