Light vs Dark Themes

Azareal

May 24, 2020
The war that has been waged since ancient times, light. vs. dark. Everyone has their own preference about whether they prefer a light theme or a dark theme. There are useful properties too, like light themes conveying a professional air and dark themes getting across a casual atmosphere where you can relax.

Some prefer light themes because it is easier on their eyes, although others, particularly those whose eyes are a bit sensitive to light may prefer a darker theme. What are your thoughts?

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
It depends on context.

I don't want to access the govt site or the health site all covered in dark colors like some RPG game. In fact light colors allow easier access to text than the dark. But that is just me. I prefer dark color on gaming sites or the sites where I read less and more focus on the contet like video or images.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
I couldn't understand if you are directing this question towards a member or webmasters or not. My eyes are extremely sensitive and I find dark themes easier to read and navigate, that's my personal preference. From of a webmasters viewpoint, I fully sympathize that we all have different tastes and likings when it comes to styles, this is why I offer either a dark or light theme. Members can change their default theme in the UCP once they have registered with us.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I prefer light themes simply because they're easier to make, and overall look more professional. It's hard to make a dark theme look nice, which probably explains why I dislike most dark themes. Like @Esmee said, it depends on the website's niche. Though, I do suggest at least offering a optional dark theme in case people with sensitive eyes, or those who like to browse at night. An option is better than forcing ones with either or. :p