Making your own forum design

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Have you thought of making your own design for your forum? Is it hard to learn? Have you tried to make one before?

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Yeah, and it didn't go so well... so I got permission to use one and modify it. New one is from-scratch tho.
I could imagine. I would have no idea what I was doing if I were to try to make my own forum skin design. I would rather have someone else do it for me and pay them of course for their time and hard work.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I always make my own stuff. I don’t mind using free themes but generally they start to look samey after a while and so I like to try and be a bit unique. It’s hard work though.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I always make my own stuff. I don’t mind using free themes but generally they start to look samey after a while and so I like to try and be a bit unique. It’s hard work though.
That's cool. What forum software have you made your designs for? Have you tried to do so on different forum software?

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
That's cool. What forum software have you made your designs for? Have you tried to do so on different forum software?
Back in the day I made some custom phpBB themes but the files for those are long, long gone now.

I also made my own forum software as well which was a fun project although not very popular so I've sleved it for now. I like to do that sort of stuff just to pass the time really and have fun. I'd try and do it professionally but it takes a lot of effort and time that I don't really have.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Back in the day I made some custom phpBB themes but the files for those are long, long gone now.

I also made my own forum software as well which was a fun project although not very popular so I've sleved it for now. I like to do that sort of stuff just to pass the time really and have fun. I'd try and do it professionally but it takes a lot of effort and time that I don't really have.
Nice! I hear it's extra hard to make a forum skin for Jcink forums because their codes are really different or something like that.

Nabix

StackBB Founder
Jul 28, 2020
www.stackbb.com
Some times I will purchase a theme or use a free one. Although, I always end up editing that theme so heavily that you can barely tell it was a paid theme. lol I've built on phpBB, myBB, vB, and IPB. Still haven't had a reason to use Xenforo quite yet. I'm looking for a reason actually lol

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Some times I will purchase a theme or use a free one. Although, I always end up editing that theme so heavily that you can barely tell it was a paid theme. lol I've built on phpBB, myBB, vB, and IPB. Still haven't had a reason to use Xenforo quite yet. I'm looking for a reason actually lol
It seems like Xenforo is getting quite popular as I see lots of forums using that software. Maybe you can go on a bunch of them and ask the owner if they are looking for a new design or graphics work. :cool:

Nabix

StackBB Founder
Jul 28, 2020
www.stackbb.com
It seems like Xenforo is getting quite popular as I see lots of forums using that software. Maybe you can go on a bunch of them and ask the owner if they are looking for a new design or graphics work. :cool:
I've thought about starting my own design business. But, I don't have the time to dedicate towards updates and what not.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I've thought about starting my own design business. But, I don't have the time to dedicate towards updates and what not.
You would need a significant amount of time to make it viable, really.

Why don't you start though? 'they' say it's never too late to switch careers!

Nabix

StackBB Founder
Jul 28, 2020
www.stackbb.com
You would need a significant amount of time to make it viable, really.

Why don't you start though? 'they' say it's never too late to switch careers!
I’m currently working on building an online business called StackBB. In real life I own a business which enables me to have a lot of free time lol

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Have made a number of my own designs for CreatorsWave over the years, as well as other projects that I run.
I'm also potentially going into a partnership to release free and premium designs for MyBB - but that's up in the air currently.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Trying to start a graphics design business sounds hard to do as the competition is big but if it's your passion then go for it :) Especially when you have more time :)