Mobile First

marketstreetforum

Community Member
Apr 18, 2020
marketstreetforum.com
Hello,

I have just started a new forum, and in the process getting a new theme to give my community a completely custom look and feel. One of my decisions was to go with a
mobile-first approach, and not worry about non-mobile desktops to much.

I am wondering if this is a wise choice and if anyone could let me know in percentages what device types are consuming their business websites/forums?

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
I admire that you're working off of a mobile based approach, however, there are a lot of people that visit forums on desktops, too. Take a look here: https://forumer.io/threads/how-do-you-access-forumer-io.76/

I think to have a custom design that works, you'll need one that responds to the screen size no matter if it's mobile or desktop, and ensure all features are still accessible from the mobile version.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

Rory

Community Member
Apr 18, 2020
I admire that you're working off of a mobile based approach, however, there are a lot of people that visit forums on desktops, too. Take a look here: https://forumer.io/threads/how-do-you-access-forumer-io.76/

I think to have a custom design that works, you'll need one that responds to the screen size no matter if it's mobile or desktop, and ensure all features are still accessible from the mobile version.
i.e a responsive theme.

Most pre-made themes now a days are responsive - but I do agree you should work the theme from the ground up to be mobile friendly, soon enough most people will be visiting on mobile instead of desktops. I, myself, visit from both a mobile phone and a desktop on a normal basis.

marketstreetforum

Community Member
Apr 18, 2020
marketstreetforum.com
i.e a responsive theme.

Most pre-made themes now a days are responsive - but I do agree you should work the theme from the ground up to be mobile friendly, soon enough most people will be visiting on mobile instead of desktops. I, myself, visit from both a mobile phone and a desktop on a normal basis.
Your right a lot of the themes are indeed mobile responsive and generally that is all one might need.

It will be most likely my approach to offer a desktop theme/lander and promote the use of the PWA my new theme is going to provide. Of course, I won't be locking out desktop users.

• 1👍
Reactions: Cardinal

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
I've never really agree'd with the mobile first idea. Only because most users use a laptop or desktop even though there are many mobile users out there.

In my opinion mobile first and mobile responsive are pretty much the same thing though. Really it's just terminology unless you mean the coding portion which either way it wouldn't make a difference. But it's definitely good to make sure you find a responsive theme to use. Good luck with your site. I hope it does well. I recommend Xenforo 2 like forumer.io uses.

Pandemix

MD developer
Apr 20, 2020
marketersdelight.com
I've never really agree'd with the mobile first idea. Only because most users use a laptop or desktop even though there are many mobile users out there.

In my opinion mobile first and mobile responsive are pretty much the same thing though. Really it's just terminology unless you mean the coding portion which either way it wouldn't make a difference. But it's definitely good to make sure you find a responsive theme to use. Good luck with your site. I hope it does well. I recommend Xenforo 2 like forumer.io uses.
I have to agree about disagreeing about mobile-first (in the context of writing CSS). :D Designing from small to big never made sense to me and I find my code quality tends to be better designing from big to small and shedding the dead weight with media queries as screen size goes down. Granted, I have been designing websites before mobile phones were part of the picture and I have never set out to do a mobile-first project so I may just be an old-timer in this regard.

Hello,

I have just started a new forum, and in the process getting a new theme to give my community a completely custom look and feel. One of my decisions was to go with a
mobile-first approach, and not worry about non-mobile desktops to much.

I am wondering if this is a wise choice and if anyone could let me know in percentages what device types are consuming their business websites/forums?
So which way did you decide to go? I'm sure as time goes on you will have analytics to tell you where users are coming from so you can see whether you made the right decision and which area you need to focus on more. Despite everybody's obsession with phones, it is still possible (and likely with forums) to have majority desktop traffic.

marketstreetforum

Community Member
Apr 18, 2020
marketstreetforum.com
I have to agree about disagreeing about mobile-first (in the context of writing CSS). :D Designing from small to big never made sense to me and I find my code quality tends to be better designing from big to small and shedding the dead weight with media queries as screen size goes down. Granted, I have been designing websites before mobile phones were part of the picture and I have never set out to do a mobile-first project so I may just be an old-timer in this regard.

So which way did you decide to go? I'm sure as time goes on you will have analytics to tell you where users are coming from so you can see whether you made the right decision and which area you need to focus on more. Despite everybody's obsession with phones, it is still possible (and likely with forums) to have majority desktop traffic.
So I have decided to maintain a desktop template and will integrate a mobile theme that will turn my board into a Progressive web app.

With IPB new version coming out, I have ultimately decided to maintain my current theme for now and once 4.5 is released, I will implement the new theme and web app.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
I will give you my first hand experience at this. Recently, I took up a job at a website that involves visiting a lot of other websites. The major problem I faced was to take part in the activity being promoted by a website, I prefer to use by laptop but I prefer to use my mobile for browsing around.

I agree with your 'Mobile first' theory mainly because potential members visit websites on their mobile phone when the probability of converting guests to members. But it is equally important to have a theme that looks attractive on the laptop because that is where the activity happens.

In short, traffic needs mobile theme and activity needs a desktop theme.

Pandemix

MD developer
Apr 20, 2020
marketersdelight.com
I agree with your 'Mobile first' theory mainly because potential members visit websites on their mobile phone when the probability of converting guests to members. But it is equally important to have a theme that looks attractive on the laptop because that is where the activity happens.

In short, traffic needs mobile theme and activity needs a desktop theme.
This is a great distinction - are there any specific optimizations you've made that have benefited guest registration rate? I currently don't do anything but show a basic banner on mobile encouraging to signup to get customer support.