Non HTTPS Backlinks

skysnap

Sep 15, 2019
I see a lot of sites have moved to the HTTPS and some of the sites are not yet moved. And Google is pressuring many web hosts to accept the lets encrypt. But many old backlinks must be on the HTTP and many of those sites which are static or so, are less likely to be moved. In such case you can see that many of us are not sure what could be the value of those links. I mean those sites being static less likely to migrate to the HTTPS. 

Do you think there is less value for non HTTPS backlinks?

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I don't trust any site that doesn't use HTTPs anymore. There's no reason to not use it so I think if you don't have it enabled you're putting users at risk for no reason. It's fairly easy to setup in most cases anyway.

By not using it, you're allowing a third party to alter the content without the user realising. Especially if they're on a network that cannot be trusted either.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
I find a lack of HTTPS to be very unprofessional.

If you're worried about outgoing links, there is a Content Security Policy setting which upgrades all HTTP links on a page to HTTPS links. It may not work if the destination site doesn't support it but that is very rare nowadays.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I find a lack of HTTPS to be very unprofessional.

If you're worried about outgoing links, there is a Content Security Policy setting which upgrades all HTTP links on a page to HTTPS links. It may not work if the destination site doesn't support it but that is very rare nowadays.
CSPs is a very good way of ensuring that your site and your users are protected, especially against user generated content.