One Benefit of Free Forum Software

jyy

Sep 26, 2019
It would be not having to pay starter, upkeep fees!  I mean, they are quite a bit.  Well, who can beat a deal where you only need a premium forum theme, a monthly hosting fee - and that's it?  Well, you can even get better than that - with a free theme - and free hosting, but that can be too much for some!

King45Gamer

Community Member
Dec 24, 2019
Best part of a Free Forum Software its FREE lol not too much too it expect sometimes it does have less addons and good themes otherwise its awesome

zoldos

Community Member
Feb 5, 2020
I'm totally down with free stuff, but after posting on and using free forums for my own site or free "hosted" forums, I find them to be quite lacking. I've used paid hosting since my first site in 1997, and for forum software, I love Xenforo. :)

ShawnHikes

Community Member
Feb 7, 2020
The problem I find with free software is the lack of updates. Many of the more popular free forum software platforms haven't been updated in over a year. You can't tell me that forum software is that safe and secure?!

I've been a fan of XenForo since they became public. I was one of the ones than went from vBulletin to XF.

jyy

Sep 26, 2019
ShawnHikes said:
The problem I find with free software is the lack of updates. Many of the more popular free forum software platforms haven't been updated in over a year. You can't tell me that forum software is that safe and secure?!

I've been a fan of XenForo since they became public. I was one of the ones than went from vBulletin to XF.
I guess it depends on how serious you want security.   I mean, if you had some "on the edge" political site, you might want protection from hacking - that is - above normal.   Anyway, for the average website, the updates on MyBB or whatever are usually enough, but make sure also the passwords are hard to break.

Anyway, I love paid software - but it's gotten too high - and, well, that leaves a niche for business people wanting to make themes/mods for free software.

JennyorAlice

Community Member
Jan 26, 2020
Having the option of using a free forum software, it allows these people starting up a forum to see if their project is going to take off or not before investing money in it. If the project fails, you're not out any money.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
It would be not having to pay starter, upkeep fees! I mean, they are quite a bit. Well, who can beat a deal where you only need a premium forum theme, a monthly hosting fee - and that's it? Well, you can even get better than that - with a free theme - and free hosting, but that can be too much for some!
This is what I thought of too and what led me to use Mybb forum software for my first forum. All I had to pay was the hosting, domain, and then I had more money to hire a designer to make me a custom theme.