Open Source

skysnap

Sep 15, 2019
Many designers and the developers make use of their design and the code open source. And this way other people can also use their creation and some of the time contribute back to the same. Many CSS frameworks are effort of the open source. And it seems like many good content libraries are also open source for  a reasons. I think it's good to have open source in this world. As it helps us grow more. 

What do you about open source in design and development?

• 1👍
Reactions: Azareal

mrki444

Sep 17, 2019
I like open source since I can see and learn how to make some things  but problems is since many people just copy code or design and earn money from it without giving any credit to developer or designer.

Sojourn

Sep 28, 2019
The Open Source movement have been a boon to the designers and developers alike and makes the internet feel like a community. I only dislike if someone blatantly copies intellectual data(code,design etc.) from the original open-source contributor and never gives attribution for that. People need to acknowledge the efforts put by the contributors in open-source by either contributing themselves(in any small manner as possible) or leave a feedback at least. I believe this movement will stay strong only then.

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
I think design field being too creative, it's hard to keep up as open source. Code however is different thing, it has more of fixed set of usage. Design on the other hand requires a lot of creative side so open sourcing does not often pays already underpaid designers.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I try to open source any project I can so that others can get involved but generally there's so many projects out there now that open source is kind of flooded with stuff so it's hard to contribute back in a way.

Are there any open source projects that are worth checking out?

Azareal

May 24, 2020
Are there any open source projects that are worth checking out?
Raises hand. Yes. Me although not graphics xD

Unlike proprietary code, open source code can be openly audited by anyone and this helps in finding security vulnerabilities.

You can modify it as you see fit. You can use it as you see fit, so long as you follow the terms of the license. You don't need my permission to do whatever you want to do with it and I won't be able to obstruct you either. You can even run off and use it as the base for your system.

Proprietary systems, particularly ones where someone can just revoke the license, can change their policies on a whim, they might spy on you ("telemetry" is common), they may censor you or try to control what you can install (Apple's app store, particularly in China, as-well as the Tumblr incident after FOSTA passed), they may try to impose their views on you and bend you to their "world model", they can't be as easily audited, developing for them often involves having a license which acts as a gate.