Paid Forum Software

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
You should try phpBB or MyBB (as they're free) and see what they are like.

I'm very bias towards phpBB as I've used it lots but it's very good for free forum software.

ARx182

Apr 30, 2020
The only paid forum software I've used is XenForo. You get what you pay for with XF, and once you go back to using free forum software after using XF, it's a big fall. I'm contemplating about whether I should invest in a XF license for a future project or stick with MyBB. If only money wasn't a problem.

Chel

Jul 7, 2020
www.discussiontime.tk
You should try phpBB or MyBB (as they're free) and see what they are like.

I'm very bias towards phpBB as I've used it lots but it's very good for free forum software.
I plan to try out both to compare once I have signed up to a free host. Hopefully one that has simple installation of the aforementioned forum softwares. Some instructions for installing mybb have just confused me.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
I plan to try out both to compare once I have signed up to a free host. Hopefully one that has simple installation of the aforementioned forum softwares. Some instructions for installing mybb have just confused me.
Amazon used to have free VPS offerings but I don't think they do it anymore.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
it’s basically a smaller version of a dedicated server, with the dedicated server resources but without the high price tag.
Nope, wrong.

Virtual Private Servers are, in some cases, just containers on a server. In other cases they're full virtual machines. They all have shared CPUs.

Virtual Dedicated is what you're thinking of. And even then, it's more marketing than anything else because you can't guarantee resources given how CPUs work

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I would say for me it's a tie between XenForo and IPB. I have never owned one myself but have used both as a member. I looked at the pricing for IPB and it's definitely way more expensive then XenForo.