Putting your foot down on drama?

Lammchen

Community Member
If you run a forum, how much drama do you allow before you put your foot down and say Enough is enough?

I'm really lenient on my site and sometimes the drama gets me more traffic and sometimes more posts. If it starts to get where there is more flaming then I have to be the bad guy and tell them to knock it off.

Are you fine with some drama or are you quick to step in and put an end to it right away?

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
It really depends on what caused the drama, and if it includes personal attacks against people. I try to let some of it happen, but previous experience shows that if it is something that deals specifically with the community getting annoyed at each other, the drama needs to be shut down as soon as it becomes noticeable.

• 1👍
Reactions: TopSilver

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
It really depends on what caused the drama, and if it includes personal attacks against people. I try to let some of it happen, but previous experience shows that if it is something that deals specifically with the community getting annoyed at each other, the drama needs to be shut down as soon as it becomes noticeable.
I'm also lenient to a point but if it goes to far you have to give infractions. Like you said in your post "as soon as it becomes noticeable". This can actually have an effect on users abusing your site quite a bit if you don't lay down the law and infract or (ban in extreme cases) only because other users will think they can get away with anything and will take advantage of you. Also when users that don't follow the rules get punished, other members see this and tend to follow the rules a lot more.

Smokey

Community Member
Sep 17, 2019
www.revillution.net
There's usually never any drama on my forums because I shut it down real quick. :) Plus, most of us are older now and petty internet drama just isn't something people enjoy. :p At least not the type that join my site.

Lammchen

Community Member
There's usually never any drama on my forums because I shut it down real quick. :) Plus, most of us are older now and petty internet drama just isn't something people enjoy. :p At least not the type that join my site.
Oops I have older members and sometimes they can be quite dramatic! Lately they've been quiet though so I wonder if they're planning a big coup!

• 1👍
Reactions: Smokey

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
I’ve been quite lucky with regards to drama on the site, however when it does ‘flare up’ I generally try to shut it down quickly, but I then try to move to a private chat and work our what’s fuelled the fire so that I can attempt to fix any underlying issues.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
Our discussion board has been extremely lucky in terms with drama on our website. Occasionally, when it does break out, I tend to try to shut it down as soon as possible.

I will then move to our PM system(private messaging) where I will attempt to find the source of the argument. I will privately talk to both users and act as a mediator rather than a staff member to resolve the conflict from re occurring. Appropriate moderation action will only be taken as an last resort.

Last edited:

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I'd be pretty relaxed. As long as the members don't say hateful things about each other or show disrepect then I'll step in and handle it but if it's on topic and adds creativity to the discussion then it's okay.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
I'd be pretty relaxed. As long as the members don't say hateful things about each other or show disrepect then I'll step in and handle it but if it's on topic and adds creativity to the discussion then it's okay.
Personally wouldn't call "on-topic and add creativity to the discussion" drama, but hey-ho.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Personally wouldn't call "on-topic and add creativity to the discussion" drama, but hey-ho.
Fair enough. I was trying to make a point and maybe a failed with the way I was trying to explain it lol.

SportsGuy

Aug 5, 2020
I was pretty strict as an owner of my forums. Most people liked it that way because my forums were more family rated and they didn't have to worry about people posting inappropriate things.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
I have seen a lot of drama and really genuinely controversial subjects too. You sometimes have to draw the line between a controversial opinion and an attack on another user or someone trying to stir up trouble. It isn't as easy as it may appear and you may get accused of being censorious.

It depends on the site and what sort of conversations you want to facilitate. I respond to plain drama in a few ways. Public warnings (to set a standard in the community regarding what I'm willing to tolerate), warnings in PMs and if you someone never learns, or they think they're above the rules, a ban.

Family related moderation can be difficult. I try to steer people away from inappropriate things but I don't want to be overly jumpy or censorious either. Over time, people do improve and learn what contexts something is appropriate and when it is not.