Rules

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
It is always a dilemma for a webmaster to write up the rules and regulations thread. Most of them young webmasters prefers to do a casual rules page which usually end up with ' and most importantly, have fun!'.

Contrary to that, the old school of thought is that you need to have a professional rules page that anticipates the problems that are going to arise in your community.

From a legal perspective, the old school works but from the new age community ange, the young school works. What are your opinions on this?

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
Personally, I'd prefer the more formal and professional rules page. It should be made clear what is (and by extension, isn't) allowed on the site.
These should also be regularly reviewed, and updated as times change or new situations arise.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
I spent hours writing up our current policies on Forumer. I like to think that it's best to explain why a rule is in place, and when a rule applies. I am still fine-tuning them. But overall they are there, and we do enforce them.

• 1👍
Reactions: Katos

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
I spent hours writing up our current policies on Forumer. I like to think that it's best to explain why a rule is in place, and when a rule applies. I am still fine-tuning them. But overall they are there, and we do enforce them.
You and i likely (I know I certainly do) put our legal backgrounds into stuff like this also... :)

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
and most importantly, have fun!'.
Still waiting to see forum owners enforce this rule - I believe if you have rules, they must be enforceable. Why add "have fun" to your rules? It's unprofessional and makes no sense.

From a legal perspective, the old school works but from the new age community ange, the young school works. What are your opinions on this?
More "legal" the better - get straight to the point.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
Why add "have fun" to your rules? It's unprofessional and makes no sense.
Because you're trying to be different but aren't. Our rules do not have this - I refuse to put that into the rules as it isn't a 'rule'. Having fun may contradict other rules, like, do not troll.

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
Because you're trying to be different but aren't. Our rules do not have this - I refuse to put that into the rules as it isn't a 'rule'. Having fun may contradict other rules, like, do not troll.
I agree with this. But you know....its definitely catchy xD

Alexander

May 10, 2020
As for myself, on my TapaTalk community under my News and Announcements section, I spent hours writing a Rules, Guidelines and moderation policy topic. This discussion has been set as a Global Announcement and has been locked. I would favour those most official and highly professional regulations sections of online discussion boards, rather than informal and "unprofessional" guidelines. Rules should clearly show what is and what isn't allowed. Your T&C's (Terms and Conditions) should be reviewed routinely and modified as time moves on or new scenarios arise.

Just a side note, adding "have fun" seems extremely immature and could be easily misinterpreted which could conflict with other website terms.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
Don't be a jerk.

Use common sense.

No NSFW content.

Follow the Laws of Canada.

This has served me well so far, although if someone pushes it, i may add more.

• 1👍
Reactions: Thomasss

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
For a new forum I wouldn't have so many rules at the beginning. The obvious rules should be in place and either have a page to itself or make a sticky thread about it. When the forum grows and if need to can add more rules/guidelines to the forum.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
For a new forum I wouldn't have so many rules at the beginning. The obvious rules should be in place and either have a page to itself or make a sticky thread about it. When the forum grows and if need to can add more rules/guidelines to the forum.
D'you know, way back when I actually conducted a survey as part of a site that I was assisting on, where we interviewed a number of web masters about the length of their rules. The majority answered at around 2-3 pages worth of rules to be the average.

When we opened the survey to members, they answered that anything over 1-1.5 pages would generally put them off, as they felt it too bureaucratic. Food for thought right there. ;)