Selling a community

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my forum. It’s just an idea for now but I’m curious what others think.

Is the domain worth anything? Is the software worth anything? I’m unsure whether or not it would be feasible to sell it or try and give it a boost again in the future.

I guess I’m just looking for appraisals at this stage. What do you think?

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
Is the domain worth anything? I
Depends on traffic. Recurring, new, etc.

Is the software worth anything?
The one you built? No. And I say that because what'll happen is that the person who buys it will intend to merge it into their own community. Database on the other hand...

it would be feasible to sell it or try and give it a boost again in the future.
Trying to resurrect a community never works. We're an apathetic lot, us webmasters.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
Is the domain worth anything?
The domain, to me, is about half of the appraisal. The name itself, SEO ranking, traffic, all play a part into on if the forum itself will be successful - so it plays a huge part in my decision to buy a community.

Is the software worth anything?
Hmm - see, this is where it depends. The communities I have bought I have merged into Forumer.io and truly had no regard for the software - I have bought a community with the intention to bring it over to IPB, but like I mentioned, this was knowing going into the sale so software never really had a part in my decision. Though, if your community is self made, it might be harder to find a seller that would continue the development and maintain the software. It'd probably be easier to find a buyer if a premium software was in the sell.

I’m unsure whether or not it would be feasible to sell it or try and give it a boost again in the future.

I guess I’m just looking for appraisals at this stage. What do you think?
Hmm - I know it's been hard to get faff up and running, though like I mentioned, I believe the structure of the community does play a part in it. Selling it in hopes of it not being a burden on you isn't really the best option - I'm definitely excited on what you can build with faff and think the potential is there, but potential doesn't sell. It might just be worth your while to continue building, maybe even shutting it down until you relaunch with a whole new design and features, rather than selling it. I'd give it less than a month before someone gives up on it because they cannot maintain it, or they're in the same position you are.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
You both raise some valid points. Especially about the software aspect of it as well in terms of buying and merging.

I mean I don't really want to sell it and there's no real reason to do so anyway. Although I think where it failed to get a proper start was the genre. General discussion forums are a dime a dozen and so that I believed caused quite a lot of the struggle too.

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
I would also think it depends how many members and posts you have on the forum. I found in the past that forums with more members and posts generally sell higher too.