Starting on the Command Line?

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
Being a webmaster, one should probably know how to use the command line and managing a website without relying on control panels - but how does one start learning the command line? How do you suggest one starts, and are there any good resources out there?

marketstreetforum

Community Member
Apr 18, 2020
marketstreetforum.com
I would suggest buying a book for the Operating System you're going to be managing on the server... This will give you clean and clear information without misinformation that can often be found online. Once you know at least the basics from the book, then you can make sense of the information you might need to google.

• 1👍
Reactions: TopSilver

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
A good thing to do like @marketstreetforum suggests is to get a book on the command line for probably Linux if your using that which most sites do. Keep your distribution in mind too. If your using CentOS 7 for example then you want a book on that. If your using Ubuntu then you would need a book on that instead. So keep that in mind. There are many good books on Amazon for cheap too and if you get them used and not new they cost a fair bit less too.

Also you could find a nice internet site to get started.

Esmee

Popular Member
Dec 8, 2019
I think some amount of the command line experience is definitely necessary. On windows knowing the Powershell definitely helps. And for those who use Linux, knowing the shell definitely as well. I personally think knowing things to get your workflow set definitely helps out. It all depends on what you want out of your workflow or productivity though.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I'd open up the command line, think of a task and then Google it. Look at any Stack Overflow answers you can find and then build you knowledge from there. It's not difficult, it's just about remembering command keywords.