Thoughts on an 'unmoderated' forum

Nabix

StackBB Founder
Jul 28, 2020
www.stackbb.com
What are you're thought on an unmoderated forum? By unmoderated I mean post content is only removed if its spam or a legal issue (i.e., death threats, how to create illegal devices, etc).

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
It depends on the site. I know of a board that was mostly self-moderated, in that it was primarily a group of people who largely knew each other and knew what they could and couldn't post.

It worked for them, but I imagine it wouldn't work everywhere.

Azareal

May 24, 2020
Do you mean unmoderated or unmoderated?

If it's an unmoderated site and you widely advertise it as such, expect a lot of busywork to keep it in compliance. And there is a chance your host, ISP or CDN (most notably, Cloudflare) may decide to cut you off for one reason or another.

Terminating Service for 8Chan Contrary to how the media paints it, the site did have a basic level of moderation. And it steered slightly away from outright lawlessness. But it ended up drawing in a bad crowd and ultimately got shutdown. There wasn't reasonably much they could have done, much like how there wasn't much YouTube could have done about pests in the comment sections of videos but the bad press was too much for them.

If it's a casually moderated site where everyone has some reasonable grasp of what to say and what to do, that's a different story.

Last edited:

Smokey

Community Member
Sep 17, 2019
www.revillution.net
Depends on the site, but if there is a site like that I would say they'd need a disclaimer stating moderation is extremely limited unless otherwise stated for the reasons mentioned above (illegal activity, death threats, etc)