What do you use for hosting?

Pipsi

Mar 9, 2020
I'm trying to figure out what (and whom) I should use for hosting my new community. Is a VPS too much or would shared hosting work? I'm a little scared to use shared just because, well, I would be sharing the resources with others. At least with a VPS, there is more power and options per say.

Thoughts?

Tagobs

Mar 31, 2020
tagobs.com
Depends on your project really. If it's just a blog or a small forum, I'd stick with shared hosting. I've rarely needed more resources than what a shared host can offer me, but maybe that says more about me than anything.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I run Forumer off of a VPS and it's probably more resources than what the forum needs, however, it's blazing fast so I can't complain. :p More room for my projects. Xenforo and IPB are really the only softwares I'd suggest running off of a VPS; MyBB, phpBB, etc. would do well on a Shared Hosting or low-end VPS until it takes off.

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
Personally you may not want my host because it's unmanaged and there's only one person working tickets (though response time isn't bad either) but I basically host an unmanaged VPS for the cost of shared. The best thing for you to do is find a cheap VPS host that's managed unless your tech savvy then you could do what I did and find a deal on webhostingtalk for a lot cheaper.

Alexander

May 10, 2020
All of the community members that have contributed to this discussion have said they use paid hosting. I'm the only one who uses free, which is TapaTalk. I don't know enough about the different types of paid to make an informed decision, yet. This is something I am actively researching into for my forum as paid web hosts has excessive amounts of benefits over free web hosting

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
All of the community members that have contributed to this discussion have said they use paid hosting. I'm the only one who uses free, which is TapaTalk. I don't know enough about the different types of paid to make an informed decision, yet. This is something I am actively researching into for my forum as paid web hosts has excessive amounts of benefits over free web hosting
As @s3_gunzel has mentioned, feel free to open a thread to seek some advice. We’re more than happy to assist with this!

ARx182

Community Member
Apr 30, 2020
chillerr.net
I‘ve only ever used shared hosting. More affordable and I’ve never needed more than what I’m already getting (from shared hosting). But I have some big plans for the future so it may be worth investing some extra money into a VPS. Only time will tell.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I‘ve only ever used shared hosting. More affordable and I’ve never needed more than what I’m already getting (from shared hosting). But I have some big plans for the future so it may be worth investing some extra money into a VPS. Only time will tell.
Which shared hosting company do you use? It’s hard to find a shared hosting that doesn’t slow down the site in some way or another.

Empire

Community Member
Jun 1, 2020
It comes down to what you going to do regards what the site is. If it was me then I get a small shared hosting server to start off with rather then spending all out on it to find that it might not go as well as you expected then as time goes on your upgrade.

Cloud-based servers are very good and not as high as VPS. I started small with shared then moved to cloud then if I grow even bigger then VPS is the next step and hire more people to run it :p But cost is the factor here also.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
We use DigitalOcean, but we are likely to be moving to a barebones. It depends on how our growth goes though, as colocation isn't exactly the cheapest in the world.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
Cheap and cheerful shared hosting as the resources required don't warrant dedicated servers or anything.