What draws you to a forum?

Joshua Farrell

Nov 17, 2019
Aside from a well developed community, with many members, what is it that draws you to a forum? Which of those things are the most important to you?

Is it purely the colors? Perhaps the use of simple gradients? Or is it more than that. Is it possible to draw someone in with just the use of simple colors, and basic gradients, or does it have to be something really flashy.

In addition, is there anything about the "default" look which could help improve the first impressions?

• 1👍
Reactions: Dan

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Nov 6, 2019
forumer.io
I look for forums that do not have too many members, actually. I dislike being in huge forums that have that "big city" feel. The most important things to me when it comes to the forum are the theme/colors/layout, the fact if it had giant ads or not, and if the content on there is something I can click with. I do not join many forums, I join those that I feel like I can dedicate time too and not get bored.

• 1👍
Reactions: Dan

Gh0st4unt3r

Community Member
Jan 26, 2020
stormdevelopers.com
I agree with @Thomasss big forums you tend to feel a bit small until you get in with all the content to see where you would fit in, smaller forums its great to start the community up and feel like you fit in right away.

Content is good and the same again if i can relate to the conversations i will likely join and pay my part in the community, i love being social and enjoy getting involved where i can.

• 1♥
  • 1👍
Reactions: Dan and Thomasss

Tealk

Community Member
Feb 23, 2020
Which of those things are the most important to you?
It is the decentralized way of communication.
I also like the structure very much, FB and the like is all very mixed up.

Before I deal much with a forum I do inspect it:
Is it behind Cloudflare? -> close tab
Use the website reCAPTCHA v3 -> close tab
Does it integrate Google Captcha? -> then I will not register

If I am interested in the topic of the forum and there are only "little things" like here the external integration of ajax or google fonts, I will tell the administrator.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I like to join forums where there is a clear amount of activity on the site and that it has a nice design to it as well. If you can have a chat with people and also enjoy the design of the site it makes it much easier to use.

I tend to not join a huge amount of forums anyway because it's hard to remain active on a few, let alone lots!

• 1👍
Reactions: Azareal

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
What attracts me to a forum? First I always look at how the forum looks graphic wise. If it looks attractive and has a cool design I would join. I would also look at the activity of the forum. It doesn't have to be huge but enough members to keep it active. It's also good to join a brand new forum sometimes so you can say you were there in the early days :D

Dan

Community Member
Sep 26, 2019
It is the decentralized way of communication.
I also like the structure very much, FB and the like is all very mixed up.

Before I deal much with a forum I do inspect it:
Is it behind Cloudflare? -> close tab
Use the website reCAPTCHA v3 -> close tab
Does it integrate Google Captcha? -> then I will not register

If I am interested in the topic of the forum and there are only "little things" like here the external integration of ajax or google fonts, I will tell the administrator.
Did I read your post right? In that if a website uses Cloudflare or reCaptcha you won't join the site because they're trying to secure themselves?

Spikey

Jul 22, 2020
Did I read your post right? In that if a website uses Cloudflare or reCaptcha you won't join the site because they're trying to secure themselves?
This is my understanding of reading that post too. I don't see why that would be a big deal for someone?