Would you hire outside staff?

Lammchen

Community Member
Would you ever consider hiring outside staff for your forum? Does it make them seem more objective in working reports and giving out staff actions? Is it easy to get them on board with how the site does things (I'm lenient on my but have a certain distinctions for the 2 different types of flamings since one type is allowed on the site and the other is not but not a lot of people can grasp the concept).

Cardinal

Nov 16, 2019
I would always prefer hiring from within - stay loyal to those who are supporting you! That, and those for whom you hire within understand how the community works and already has relations with other community members. It's weird seeing a brand new mod or admin with 5 posts, and then checking back 2 weeks later and seeing they're no longer on the team. :p

• 1👍
Reactions: TopSilver

TopSilver

Community Member
Apr 19, 2020
I actually would hire someone I didn't know for my site but only if they were an active poster. They'd at least need 50 or 60 posts and I would also need to get to know them for about a months time. After that, I'm a good read on a persons character. If I thought they could handle the job I'd start them off as a content moderator and they could work their way up to super mod or admin. That's basically what I've been doing allowing users to rise through the ranks - so to say and work their way up.

Puppuccino

Whipped Cream
Apr 30, 2020
forumer.io
I use to be okay with it but now I think someone should be active on the forum and understand the dynamic before jumping into a moderator / staff role.

s3_gunzel

That's Numberwang!
Nov 20, 2019
aspergers.network
In every circumstance where I’ve hired staff externally, they’ve been hopeless or just disinterested and wanted a rank bar. I’d heavily advise against it.

Lord Saru

Community Member
May 6, 2020
I dont think I would hire from outside. If you are planning to hire from outside, it means a few things

1. There is no work for an additional staff unless you are looking to hire for someone to cover up your lack of technical knowledge.

2. It means that you dont trust your own members with staffing duties

3. It means that activity and new member registrations have not picked up in your forum and you need to work on that.

Katos

They see me breakin’
May 2, 2020
creatorswave.com
In every circumstance where I’ve hired staff externally, they’ve been hopeless or just disinterested and wanted a rank bar. I’d heavily advise against it.
Unfortunately, I’ve had the same experience. I have only ever had ONE successfully external hire, and that person left the forum scene after his time at my site came to an end. He received one hell of a send off by members and staff alike.

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
This^

The only reason one should hire externally is when starting the community up to where everyone is considered new. You should ALWAYS hire internally - I would never join a community that hires random people from the outside who have not put in contributions to the community and understands how the community works and socializes. Most just want a fancy banner and the ability to ban people. :p

• 1👍
Reactions: Katos

PoliceChief

Nov 30, 2019
Should be an area where one can leave reviews on if someone is good at being staff on other forums or not - like a AngiesList or something.